Saturday, May 7, 2016

I did some more reorganizing, planning and packing.  I have been concerned about the safety of our "stuff" when we walk away from the bikes for a bit.  I don't think it'll happen often, but there is one day where we have a 3 mile hike planned, so we'll definitely be away from the bikes for a bit.  I've asked around on the different motorcycle forums, and mostly the replies have been to confirm that the area that we are going is generally safe (safer than where we live here in the Chicago area, for sure!) but common sense should be taken.  If you have a cover (which I do), cover the bike and "stuff" when you leave the bike.  Out of site, out of mind.  I have a simple alarm that I'll set, too.  I also have a lock, which I'll use to lock the bike.  I also have another cable lock that I will run through the handle of my waterproof duffel bag and through the sleeves of my jacket if I'm not wearing it.  But I also came up with a plan that makes me feel a little better still.  I had been planning on pulling my tank bag off and carrying that with me wherever we go, but I also have small backpack that I'm going to put stuff like my laptop and any other electronics, as well as my first aid kit (which has a bunch of stuff in it, if you've seen my list), and also my expensive socks (the cheapest of which were $35 a pair).  This smaller backpack is packed inside of the waterproof duffel, so I just pull it out and go.  What will be left behind is of value of course, but most of the (relatively) valuable stuff I'll have with me all the time.  My tool kit (nothing fancy), rain suit (if I'm not wearing it), thermal layers, and various sprays and spare oil will be left in the top box.  My jacket, helmet, and Wolfman dry duffel will all be back with the bike, but locked.   My boots would be the only thing not secured in some way, but I'm hoping to wear them most of the time.  I feel better about taking most of my stuff with me, and I'm doing what I can within the constraints of what's feasible to protect the other stuff.

I also wanted to get EVERYTHING packed up and on the bike to see EXACTLY what I'll be riding with.  The duffel itself would probably hold about twice what I'm putting in it.  The issue is, where I'm putting it behind me on the seat, if it took up any more room there wouldn't be any space for my ass!   As it is now, I think it's perfect.....I have a little space to shift around behind me, to adjust my seating, but the bag is close enough to really serve as a backrest.  Hopefully I'll feel the same the morning of day 3, after we've done over 700 miles on the bikes in 2 days.  Only time will tell.  It is what it is and that's how I'm rolling out next Saturday morning.   Here's the latest packing list, followed by a picture of the bike fully loaded up:

In waterproof duffel:
1 pair Duluth pants (Brown or Grey 34’s)
1 pair Duluth insulated pants (unless wearing them)
1 pair shorts
4 t-shirts (buy a couple down there)
Pair of Cushe shoes
Small Backpack (see contents listed below)

In small backpack:
Laptop and charger
Phone wall charger
Sealskins socks
USB Speaker
2 Smartwool socks (wear one)
5 pair underwear
Duluth crushproof hat
First aid kit from Maxpedition bag (see contents listed below)

In first aid kit from Maxpedition bag:
Toothpaste
Tooth brush
Q-tips
Shampoo
Disposable razors
Band aids
Polysporin
Anti Biotics
Nail clippers
Insect repellent
Sunscreen
Adhesive tape
Lip balm
Eye drops
Hand wipes
Nitrile gloves
Tweezers
Comb
Floss
Foam ear plugs
Spare phone battery - charged
Deodorant


In action packer (top box):
Tool Roll – bottom
Zip ties – bottom
Extra tie downs - bottom
Paracord – bottom
Spare Oil – standing up, on bottom
Chain lube spray – standing up, on bottom
Plexus spray for cleaning face shield and windshield – standing up, on bottom
Siphon hose
Extra 2.5 gallon sized ziplock bags
Motorcycle cover/alarm (alarm in small ziplock bag)
Thermal shirt & Thermal liner for jacket (in ziplock bag if not wearing)
Kryptonite lock/(key on both keyrings)
Other cable and lock
Rain Pants/Rain jacket – in ziplock bag


In tank bag:
Spare bank card
Spare lock & key for bike/kryptonite
Sun glasses/regular glasses
Soft cloth for cleaning face shield and windshield
Maps/Hotel numbers, etc.  Notes for trip
Metal pad for sidestand
Pen/Pad of paper
Tire gauge
Baseball hat
Registration/Insurance card
Headlamp
Flashlight/batteries
Gloves – both pair if not wearing one
Leatherman/bits
Waterproof Medicine box
USB cables for phone, speaker, and headset

Hand cleaner packets


No comments:

Post a Comment